Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A flair for the Italian side in me...

Honestly, I wonder if I should have been born Greek or Italian.
I love their food!!
Granted the Alberta girl in me will always settle for a steak but,
I get bored of the same ol' same ol' day in day out.
Meat and potatoes has never really been my thing.
Granted I love a good BBQ but I need to experiment and try new things.
Food is for enjoyment!! Right?

Learning is something that should never stop once you leave school.
But that doesn't mean that learning can't be fun!!
At first this recipe scared the daylights out of me.
Sounded so fancy and honestly I didn't know if I could give it justice.
But...I learned a few things along the way..like how to deglaze a pan
And the meal was amazing!!
A definite keeper!


Ingredients
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ lb ground beef
6 oz Italian sausage, skinned
1 cup red wine
18 oz can crushed tomatoes, chopped (ground)
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped (1/4 tsp dry)
1 tsp fresh sage, chopped (1/4 tsp dry)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 lbs Tortelloni
Parmesan cheese, freshly grate
Procedures

1. HEAT oil in a large pan. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic and cook about 5 minutes. Add meat and cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. DEGLAZE pan with wine; let reduce. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir. Simmer for about 1 hour.
3. TOSS hot, drained pasta in sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Recipe found: Tortelloni Bolognese

No comments: